Friday, August 18, 2017

A Dress Fit For a Bard

While we're on the topic of dresses for friends I made a "simple" Elizabethan middle class gown for a friend Solveig Bjarnardottir, a very talented Viking bard who was attending a Yule Elizabeth immersion event  and had nothing to wear.

Lady Solveig Sings

Red and Green but not "Christmas-y"
My favorite fabric store, the Auburn Fabric Outlet, where everything is $2.99 a yard, had these awesome fabrics. I used the green as the base and the red I cut down as trim.

I used the Simplicity Elizabethan pattern that they issued after The Tudors came out. The lines are actually really good on this one - no princess lines to draft out. If you are looking for introductory late period pattern, you could do a lot worse.

I added shoulder wings of the same red fabric and made the sleeves detachable and reversible and a very quick petticoat with a portion of the trim fabric as a forepart.

Solveig's Finished Elizabethan

Another Shot of Solveig's Elizabethan

I lent her a few necklaces and earrings and sent her off to be the belle of the Elizabethan ball.


No comments:

Post a Comment